Rules of Conduct
CALS is a limited public forum that is open to the public for specified purposes: reading, studying, and using library materials and meeting facilities. CALS permits the public to exercise rights that are consistent with those purposes, and endeavors to ensure that the public is allowed to pursue those purposes without encountering unreasonable nuisances in its facilities. Therefore, the CALS Board of Trustees hereby promulgates the following rules for using its facilities.
RULES FOR USING THE CENTRAL ARKANSAS LIBRARY SYSTEM'S FACILITIES
- Persons who use the library shall be engaged in reading, studying, or using library materials or meeting facilities. Persons who are consistently engaged in conversations that indicate that the facility is being used as a meeting place rather than a place for reading or study shall be asked to cease such activities or vacate the building.
- Persons shall not harass or annoy other patrons or staff through noisy or boisterous activities, by unnecessary staring with the intent to annoy that person or by following another person about the building with the intent to annoy that person.
- All patrons must wear shoes and, as appropriate, trousers, outer shorts, pants, skirts, dresses, blouses, shirts, and/or T-shirts.
- Personal hygiene shall conform to the generally accepted standard of the community. Patrons whose bodily hygiene is offensive so as to constitute a nuisance to other persons shall be required to leave the building.
- Patrons are not allowed to eat or drink within library premises except in designated meetings approved by the Administration.
- Use of all tobacco products and electronic nicotine delivery devices is prohibited on CALS property, except in designated smoking areas.
- Sleeping is not permitted in the library.
- No animals, except service animals for persons with disabilities, are allowed in the library.
- Non-library approved solicitation in any form is forbidden.
- Public rest rooms shall not be used for bathing, shaving, or changing clothes.
- Conversations, including cell phone conversations, that disturb other patrons or interfere with the ability of the staff to perform its duties are forbidden.
- Littering of the building and library grounds is forbidden.
- No single suitcase, bag, briefcase, box, or similar carrying device larger than 18" tall x 10" wide can be carried into the library. However, the size of the carrying device may be waived if it is demonstrated that it carries materials of which the preponderance are for reading, study, or research. Except as noted, no person may bring into the library garments in any suitcase, bag, briefcase, box, or similar carrying device, unless those items are incidental in size to the reading, studying, and research materials carried in the container. The preceding restriction may be waived if the person has been recently shopping and can produce a receipt for the garment(s). Any carrying device that is allowed in the library is subject to search when the person leaves the building, in accordance with Arkansas Statute 13-2-805.
- The police department, SCAN, or a juvenile welfare-related agency may be called if children under 14 years of age are left unattended in front of the building prior to regular opening time or have not been picked up prior to closing time.
- Patrons shall not enter spaces marked "Staff Only" unless they have permission from a member of the library staff.
- Persons fighting or using abusive language shall be banned from the library and may be charged under appropriate ordinances, statutes, etc.
- Persons who deface or mutilate any library property shall be immediately banned from the library. It is the policy of the Board that such persons be prosecuted under appropriate statutes. This especially applies to anyone guilty of defacing or mutilating books, periodicals, or other collections.
- Persons who urinate or defecate anywhere on the premises other than authorized restrooms shall be immediately banned from the library and may be charged under appropriate ordinances, statutes, etc.
- Persons engaged in indecent exposure shall be immediately banned from the library and may be charged under appropriate ordinances, statutes, etc.
- Persons carrying weapons in violation of Arkansas statutes shall be immediately removed from the library and it is the policy of the Board that such persons be prosecuted.
- Library computer users must sign in and agree to the Rules and Responsibilities for Public Computer and Internet Use.
Failure to follow these Rules of Conduct will result in disciplinary action being taken. Actions may range from a verbal warning to legal action to permanent disbarment from CALS facilities. Specific sanctions are outlined in Administration Procedures and are open to public scrutiny.