Remodeled McMath Library Reopens
The McMath Library has received a new look and additional space. The Central Arkansas Library System's (CALS) Sidney Sanders McMath Library, 2100 John Barrow Road, reopened on Monday, June 9 at 9 a.m. More info »
About the Library
Sidney S. McMath Library offers patrons thousands of books and audio/visual items. The 10,700 square-feet facility features a children's area, public meeting rooms and wireless Internet access. The library's 10-acre site features a boardwalk from John Barrow Road, a walking path, an amphitheater, and a koi pond with an observation pier.
People of the Library
Sid McMath was elected Governor of Arkansas in 1948. He entered office January 11, 1949 as the nation's youngest governor. He was reelected in 1950. His administration built the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, which was financed with a two-cent tax on cigarettes.
News & Announcements
New Options for CALS Library Card Users
Patrons of the Central Arkansas Library System (CALS) now have more choices in managing their library accounts with two new types of cards. Family and child provisional cards offer more options for families using library services while CALS continues to work within the scope of Arkansas library confidentiality laws with individual cardholders.
Library cards should only be used by the account holder. Each individual isrequired to present their own library card at check out. The rights and responsibilities of the card are not transferable, except in instances where informed written consent has been given.
The new family card serves as a group account for up to ten family members residing in the same household. It allows parents to access information regarding materials that their children check out using the account. Adults residing in the same household and listed as users are able to more easily pick up reserved materials and renew checked out items.
- Available to individuals who are at least 18 years old to cover persons residing in the same household and listed as users. Limited to ten authorized users.
- Check out limits and fine limits will be the same as individual cards.
- The person listed as the head of the account will be responsible for any fines or fees incurred on the account.
- Current CALS cardholders in good standing with full borrowing privileges may convert their current CALS card to a family card.
- Any person listed on the account may check out books, pick up holds, and renew materials.
Child's Provisional Card
- A child's provisional card will be offered for children who need or would like to obtain a library account without a parent/guardian's signature.
- Child must be able to give their full name and all other required account information.
- 5 item check out limit.
- Available to individuals 14 years of age and older who meet ID requirements.
- Children younger than 14 years of age with parent/guardian permission (signature) on their application can be issued regular individual accounts.
- Library cards may only be used at check out by the account holder. The rights and responsibilities of the card are not transferable, except in instances where informed written consent has been given.
For more information, call 918-3000.