Temporary New Book Drop Access for Patrons at Main Library
To accommodate patrons desiring "drive-thru" book return service as construction continues at the Main Library campus, a temporary book drop has been placed in the Main Library parking lot opposite the Cox Center. Patrons may return any items to this box; all library procedures related to loan periods, fines, and fees remain in effect. Please call 918-3000 for more information.
About the Library
The Main Library, the flagship of the Central Arkansas Library System, is housed in the renovated Fones Brothers Warehouse in the historic River Market District. The third site for the library, a 132,000-square-feet facility, opened at 100 Rock Street in 1997. The Main Library offers patrons thousands of books and audiovisual items for children and adults. The five floors feature the Sturgis Center for Technology Training, a public computer lab; dedicated areas for children and teens; reading rooms on the first and fifth floors; individual and small group study areas; public meeting rooms; wireless Internet access; and an extensive reference department.
The Main Library campus is comprised of the Main Library; the Cox Creative Center, which houses River Market Books & Gifts, the library’s used book store and Bookends, the library’s literary café; and the Arkansas Studies Institute, a joint project of CALS and the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
Prose Garden Café
Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Monday-Friday
Prose Garden is a soothing spot for a quick lunch, snack, or beverage on the 5th floor of the Central Arkansas Library System’s Main Library. Choose a delicious beverage including hot or cold tea, coffee, or juices to go with your sandwich or snack, and then sit near the fountain to read or study. Prose Garden can provide some catering for meetings in the Main Library’s 5th floor meeting rooms. Download the Prose Garden menu here »
News & Announcements
Tax Assistance Available at CALS
Volunteers from Volunteers In Tax Assistance (VITA) will be at the Dee Brown and Nixon Libraries, as well as other locations in and around Little Rock, through April 15 to help qualified patrons file their tax returns. Consultation sessions will be available on a first come, first served basis. No registration is required at CALS branches.
Patrons interested in tax assistance from VITA should bring the following:
- Picture ID for yourself and your spouse
- Social Security Card for yourself and all family members you are claiming
- Dates of Birth for you and all family members claimed on return
- W-2s for all jobs held in the previous year
- Last year’s return & any other tax-related documents
- Form 1099-G if you received unemployment
- Form 1099-INT if you received interest from a bank account
- Documentation of child care expenses (Child Care Agency ID or Social Security Number of provider
- If you are filing with your spouse, please bring your spouse
- A voided check for direct deposit
- Forms 1095-A, B or C( Affordable Health Care Statement)
VITA volunteers will be available at the following locations and times:
DEE BROWN LIBRARY
- 6325 Baseline Rd., Little Rock
- Saturday, February 20 – 10am-2pm
- Saturday, February 27 – 10am-2pm
- Saturday, March 5 – 10am-2pm
- Saturday, March 19 – 10am-2pm
- Saturday, March 26 – 10am-2pm
- Saturday, April 2 – 10am-2pm
- Walk-ins welcome
- 703 W. Main Street, Jacksonville
- Thursday, February 4 – 3:30-7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, February 6 – 9:30 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
- Thursday, February 11 – 4:00-7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, February 20 – 9:30 a.m.–2:00 p.m.
- Saturday, February 27 – 9:30 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
- Saturday, March 5 – 9:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Thursday, March 10 – 4:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, March 19 – 9:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Saturday, March 26 – 9:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Saturday, April 2 – 9:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Thursday, April 7 – 3:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Walk-ins welcome